Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What's on your counter today?

I have a place on my "counter" (a stainless steel topped cart) that I put fruit or veggies... Fruit that needs to ripen more or veggies that don't go in the fridge, like tomatoes. This is what I had on the counter last week.




Mangoes...that's right, good big ones too. Having something there that's healthy, just gets my brain to think on the right track. Something good raw, maybe in a smoothie, maybe just cut and eaten in a bowl.

After that, I had this on the counter from the pineapple and paw paw lady who comes about twice a week to sell these...



Pineapple and papayas (or paw paw, as they call them here). I have really learned to like papayas. They are good a little on the soft side for a nice sweet very juicy fruit. On the firm side, they are good to aid in digesting proteins (and on a low protein diet are good for getting rid of parasites) because they are full of good enzymes. Fresh pineapple is yummy and great in smoothies or just cut up in a bowl. I've even used firm ones (that weren't too sweet, because I cut them too soon) in cooked dishes like curries and stir fries and they are very very good that way. The cooking takes away the tartness of underripe pineapple.

Now we have this on the counter...


Avocados...some are really big too! Like this one - the size of a small melon! =) Yes, you see more the them behind this one I'm holding. Friends of ours have 3 trees in their yard and wondered if we wanted any? (Um...YES!!!) We could eat one or two everyday, no problem. I'm wondering where I can find an avocado ice cream recipe. I've heard there's one out there somewhere...hummmmm.....

No comments: