Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Curried Nutmeat

This is from a book that I borrowed awhile back and never tried until now. The book, "Delights of The Garden" by Imar Hutchins has raw recipes that look different than you would expect, but it's a book to check out!

This recipe is a replacement for a raw curry flavored "meat" made with pecans. And yes, there seems to be a lot of spices, quantity wise. No mistake. Now I know why I've never achieved the true curry flavor that I've experienced in Indian restaurants.... Not enough herbs and spices! Really. The only major flavor difference will be your type of curry powder and how much pepper you add. A little of this goes a long way. Curry lovers, prepare to be amazed.

Curried Nutmeat

1 pound raw pecans
1 large onion, very finely chopped
1 /2 cup curry powder
1/2 cup scallions (green onions), chopped
1/4 cup thyme
1/4 cup parsley1 tablespoon sage
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 Tablespoons black pepper*
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper**

Grind pecans to a fine texture in a dry food processor using the S blade. Add finely chopped onion to the processor and process until a dough-like texture is achieved. Add curry powder, scallions and all other seasonings, then blend again. Add sea salt and pepper to taste. Spoon out in balls and serve with your favorite dish or use it to make sandwich. (We used it alongside boiled potatoes, and whatever dish we were having, over the course of a couple days.)

*I am still getting used to using black pepper in my cooking. I only used about 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. I will use more each time I make this to see were my preferred amount is.

**The day I made this we were beyond dangerously low on cayenne...we were out! So I actually did not use this at all. My 5 year old daughter (and the rest of us) loved this recipe as is. Next time I will put some cayenne pepper in the recipe, but probably not the full amount. My 13 year old son would be happy for more spice though. I may just keep out a portion for my daughter, then add the cayenne into the rest. Easy enough and everyone will be happy.

No comments: