Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Slim Chance: Part 1

I know that for many people reading this, you will relate to the following, in one form or another... about being overweight.

Recently in late July this year, I decided to do something I've never done before. Count calories. The reason being that I felt I wanted to rid myself of that last 20 pounds or so that I was unable to shake just by "eating well."

I remember telling someone within the last year that I really never "had" to count calories, because I didn't feel (at the time) that I had any weight issues. I think that as soon as I said it, I felt a twinge of guilt knowing that I wasn't really at a good weight....meaning that I wasn't particularly heavy, but I knew I wasn't very fit for sure. I realized that I'm not getting any younger and fitness doesn't just happen.

I love dealing with food and that is an area I feel well rounded in health-wise. But I needed to get moving, in a big way. About early July, I decided to walk my husband to work in the mornings for exercise. We moved into town one year ago and he's been walking to and from work everyday since (unless in rains, busy schedule, etc). Since the days are longer in July, it was a nice way to greet the morning and watch the sun rise. Considering he leaves the house at 5:45 am, I think it went well. And we could talk on the way... Every woman needs to talk to her husband.

When it was got too dark and cold to keep doing this in the mornings, in October, I decided to do my workouts at home instead. My husband still walks to work and has for this entire year. Yes, we have snow and ice in the winter here. And his walk to work is 1 and 2/3 mile one way. He's a hard worker on the job too. He is amazing. =)

Stay tuned for Part 2...

No comments: