Friday, June 20, 2008

Baked Oatmeal

You know you live in a hot climate when it gets down to 75 degrees F and everyone is cold! Recently we've had some cooler weather here in Ghana because of the wet season. It can cool down considerably here right before it storms.

So like everyone during the winter season (in other parts of the world), my mind turns to something warm. From socks and jackets to baked food...like baked oatmeal. I don't ever think that I had this as a child, but children (and the young at heart) love this.

Baked Oatmeal

Dry:
6 c. rolled oats (aka: old fashioned oats)
4 tsp. baking powder, optional*
1 Tbsp. (or more) cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
Wet:
3/4 c. - 1 c. honey/maple syrup
2 c. non-dairy milk, or water (or pasta water, or...)
1/4 c. flax seed/meal ** mixed with 1 c. water
2/3 c. - 3/4 c. coconut oil (can use part applesauce/pumpkin puree or equivalent in mashed bananas)
2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)

Mix dry and wet ingredients separately, then mix all ingredients together. Put into greased (I use coconut oil) 9" x 13" baking dish. At this point, I let it "soak" for a few minutes. Bake at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) for 45 minutes or more until done. Great warm with fruit and some non-dairy milk. Wonderful for leftovers!

*Note about baking powder: I do not always use baking powder. Using it means that your baked oatmeal will have a lighter texture, more like cake. I do not use it for any other recipe. I found that not using it still gave me satisfactory results. Even our church's men's group loves it, even without it. You can decide. Not sure? Try a half batch without and decide for yourself. Baking powder also adds sodium to the recipe.

**Flaxseed substitute info here. I have used my Vitamix to blend up the water together with whole flax seed to my liking. No cooking required. And if you have flax seed meal (in your freezer only please - it will go rancid fast!) you can just follow the first suggestion in the aforementioned link.
I have been able to use bananas to replace half the "egg" amount with success. If using any applesauce or bananas to replace any oil or "egg" amounts, decrease honey amount.

Great for breakfast or any meal. Try it as a snack meal with homemade soy ice cream sometime! Come back for the recipe in the next post!

For other frugal tips, visit Biblical Womanhood.

Edited on 10/3/2012 to add note about baking powder.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

75 are you serious. That isn't cold here in MN. It's funny to hear you say that. But I suppose when your use to hot weather over a 100? 75 would seem cool.