Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Make Your Own Seasoned Salt

Have you ever wanted to make your own seasoned salt because you need something without additives? I searched for an all purpose seasoning that had a better kind of salt in it. There are good ones out there, but they can be expensive. So I made my own version, adding in kelp for natural iodine. The basic recipe follows. 5/30/2018 - Edit to add: For those of you who like to weigh ingredients, I have added the gram weights.

Basic Seasoned Salt

3 Tbsp. (125 g) salt (we use Real Salt - I use only 100 g lately)
2 Tbsp. (35 g) paprika
2 Tbsp. kelp granules OR 1 Tbsp. (15 g) kelp powder
½ Tbsp. (10 g) granulated onion
½ Tbsp. (15 g) granulated garlic
dash red pepper, optional
dash stevia powder, optional (I prefer green stevia)

Mix and store in airtight container. An empty spice container works well.

“Spike” Style Seasoning


I came up with a version of “Spike” seasoning that we like. Make the above seasoned salt recipe first. Add in any or all of the following in very small amounts at first, adding more as you see that your family likes it. I add many of these to make this a “greener” salt that is very versatile. We use it in cooking, on popcorn, at the table. We hardly ever use just plain salt when we have this around. In fact, I don’t even have a plain salt shaker!

1 batch Basic Seasoned Salt recipe, set aside
Other additions* as desired –generally about 1/8 tsp. to 1 tsp. each (Put these in your blender or spice grinder to make them into a powder that will mix well with your basic seasoned salt recipe. Make sure to wait until the powder settles before opening the lid.) Store finished seasoning into an airtight container.

*I have used some or all of the following:
Allspice
Basil
Bay leaf
Cardamon
Celery seed
Chives
Cilantro
Cinnamon
Cloves
Coriander
Cumin
Dill weed
Dulse
Fennel seed
Ginger
Marjoram
Mint
Mustard seed
Nutmeg
Nutritional Yeast^
Oregano
Parsley
Rosemary
Saffron
Tarragon
Thyme
Turmeric
Curry Powder
Chili powder

^ We prefer non-fortified (contains no synthetic vitamins) , *not* baking yeast

This seasoning can be used in place of the salt listed in my Portabella Grill Marinade or other savory recipes.

2 comments:

Candace said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

ADMIN said...

Thanks, I'm going to try this.