Thursday, February 5, 2009

Raw Chocolate Cake

I have tasted raw chocolate cake and it is good. From a good friend, here is her recipe for a rich treat! Oh, and by the way, the only way to eat chocolate in any dish - raw organic cacao nibs! =)

Raw Chocolate Cake



1 1/2 cup walnuts
10 dates (cut up into small pieces)
dash of salt
1/3 cup (or more) powdered organic raw cacao nibs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (or seeds of 1 vanilla bean)
2 teaspoons water

Process walnuts and dates in food processor first. Then add salt and cacao powder. Next add the vanilla and water, mixing in between each addition. Can add more sweetener for more flavor.
Form into small cake shape on a serving plate and cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes. Cut into small pieces and enjoy. Yummy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMMMMMmmmmmmmm! My fav!

Loretta said...

My 4 year old girl requested this for her birthday cake the other day. I made it with carob powder as I don't currently have cacao. It went over very well and even got compliments from three non-vegetarians! =)
Loretta @ Vegan Footprints

Loretta said...

I now routinely make this with carob powder. And today, for my husband's birthday, I was low on dates (I only had two). So I used raisins to make up the rest. It turned out great.

tandemingtroll said...

I just tried this last night because three women in my Bible study have had their health return after trying a gluten free diet. However, I couldn't find my walnuts, so I tried mixing in sunbutter with the cocoa nibs and the dates, which means that it was no longer raw. They loved it and I thought it was good. I have a Braun small food processor and I found it didn't grind the cacao nibs into powder, but no one seemed to mind the crunch. I can see forming these into quick cookies, too.

Loretta said...

Actually, tandemingtroll, if you are using sun(flower seed) butter, cacao nibs and dates, this should still be all raw. Is your sun butter not raw? Cacao nibs and dates usually are, unless you have cooked them in some way.
I'm curious, since I've never bought pre-made sunbutter before.

tandemingtroll said...

Hi there! I just came back to your site because we are making your tamale casserole since it is now cooling off in the desert enough to turn on the oven.

I double checked and the sesame butter appears to be raw. A friend of mine, who is very allergic to all nuts found a brand called "Sunbutter Natural" which is processed in a gluten free, nut free facility. She found it at Walmart. I started buying it for when our families got together for lunches. They have since moved 1800 miles away, but our kids still like the flavor, probably because it is slightly sweeter than peanut butter. I don't have a fancy food processor to make my own nut butters, but I have learned to appreciate almond butter more than peanut butter.

Loretta said...

We had this again this year and my daughter is now 11 years old. Still a winner!