Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Veggie Stuffed Bell Peppers

We had a dinner tonight that I just had to write about. Normally I am not a stuffed pepper sort of person. I really don't like green peppers all that much. But a recent bunch of discounted green peppers at the store the other day prompted me to look through my recipes once again.

I have a recipe that I improvised from like crazy (as usual!) and I love the result. So here is my version, gluten and grain free, in fact.

Veggie Stuffed Bell Peppers

3 (medium to large) green peppers
1 cup frozen corn (thawed)
1 cup mixed frozen vegetables (ours had corn, peas, green beans, & carrots)
1-2 cups cooked beans (I used chick peas)
1 cup your favorite fresh salsa (or more, as needed)
a few dashes hot sauce (optional)
6 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
dried oregano, to garnish

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

First, wash and cut in half, through the stem, the green peppers, trimming out the seeds and white ribs. In a pot, boil some water to quick cook (blanch) the peppers for about 5 minutes. Remove, drain and set aside into a baking dish when cooked.

Mix the corn, veggies, and beans together. Now you are ready to assemble. Making sure the blanched peppers are laying on their sides, open side up, stuff with the veggie & bean mix. Then, layer each with the fresh salsa (mixed with the optional hot sauce). Next, a tablespoon of nutritional yeast goes on top of each pepper half. To garnish, I put dried oregano on top (like I do with homemade pizza). Put into oven for 20-30 minutes until heated through.

Makes 6 servings as a side dish, 3 as a main dish. I made double the recipe and it fit my 9"x13" casserole nicely.

No comments: