Monday, October 6, 2008

Pumpkin Soup

I know this is another soup recipe, but I can't help it. It's been cold around here and it can go into the crockpot...so here's another great warming soup...especially if you add a little hot sauce! (smile)

This soup is surprisingly good. I really never liked just plain mashed squash (sorry, Mom), but I knew I'd have to find a way since my husband does. I already knew I liked squash in sweet things (pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies, etc...). Could I find a recipe for a savory squash dish that I did like? I can't even remember where I found this, but it works for me. I love it. The original recipe actually uses milk. I tried using it with (non-dairy) and without and enjoy it without better.

Pumpkin Soup




Saute:

1 onion, chopped

1 Tablespoon oil

1-2 teaspoons ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

3 cloves garlic, chopped



Add:

3 cups pumpkin (or other winter squash) puree

3 cups vegetable broth

salt and/or other seasoning as desired

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)



Cook until heated through. When serving add a little nutritional yeast and maybe some little pepitas (green roasted pumpkin seeds) on top of soup in bowls. Option: put all ingredients in the crockpot after sauteing the onions and garlic. Great as leftovers.

When I made it this time, I used a butternut squash and pumpkin. I tripled the recipe for leftovers...see photo. Yum.

1 comment:

Sarah Halter said...

Yum! I use a similar recipe for sweet potato soup. We never ate too many sweet potatoes or winter squash when I was growing up, so it's been fun to rediscover them as an adult.