Monday, January 30, 2012

Chili Powder

I love making new herb and spice blends. The freshly ground spices give my kitchen a nice aroma for awhile. I'm having a little fun today making my own chili powder. I used to buy it ready made, but realize that as I run out, there's no reason I can't make my own. I've been making my own seasoned salt for years, why not this?

It's easy and you'll ask yourself the same question. Why don't I make this myself?

Chili Powder

2 Tablespoons cumin, ground (or whole, see note)
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper or 4 dried hot chili peppers, ground (see note)
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons garlic, granulated
2 teaspoons onion, granulated
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Note: You may use whole seeds for the cumin. If grinding the dried hot chili peppers yourself, you will want to remove the seeds (or at least most of them) beforehand, or the mixture will be too hot.

Combine all ingredients, except crushed red pepper (if using), in a grinder or blender (a personal blender works too). Grind until mixture is a coarse powder.  If using, add in the crushed red pepper only by stirring it in (do not grind together). Use in recipes as needed.

No comments: