Saturday, December 13, 2008

Better Butter

Recently I attended a seminar based on a vegan diet that uses a high percentage of raw foods in their diet. I gleaned a few recipes that I'd like to share with you. This one is very tasty and one that most people would want a substitute for when going vegan. There is Earth Balance that I've used before, but this one is raw and can be made at home - two things I love!

This recipe is from "Eating Without Heating".

Better Butter


1/2 cup pine nuts
1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon Udo's Oil (if available)
1/2 cup coconut oil


Blend all together except the coconut oil until smooth. Add more water if needed. Add the coconut oil and blend again. Chill in refrigerator or freezer.

2 comments:

FrugalWeightloss.com said...

What if you don't have edo's oil? Leave it out or substitute with what?

Loretta said...

Good question. I also needed to find a substitute. I decided to try flax seed oil instead since the Udo's oil is for a butter flavor. Flax seed oil tends to have a butter taste. Try that instead.
Alternatively, you probably could just leave it out altogether if it's not available.