Saturday, March 19, 2011

Miso Soup

Sometimes when I want something light and warm I think of miso soup. Since I don't use bouillon, but I like brothy type soups, this hits the spot.  Remember that for each serving, you'll need to multiply accordingly (ex: 4 servings for 4 people = 4 times recipe).

Wakame is a sea vegetable sold in dried form. Scallions are also called green onions. Try adding any or all of the following: finely shredded carrots, minced celery, finely sliced cabbage, or sliced shiitake mushrooms. I skip the tofu. I tend to use more water than called for and may soak the wakame in another bowl. Children love to watch it "bloom."

I like the American Miso Company Miso Master brand of miso. They use only organic ingredients. I usually have one dark (saltier) and one light (sweeter) in my fridge. When I made this soup I used the red miso. This is their recipe from the insert inside the container. Look around on their website for more recipes that use miso, sea vegetables, and other Japanese items.

Miso Soup

For each serving, simmer:
1/2 teaspoon chopped scallion
1/2 teaspoon wakame
several pieces of cubed tofu
1 cup water or stock

Dissolve in another bowl:
2 teaspoons miso in small amount of water

Remove soup from heat and add in the miso. Do not boil miso.

Enjoy.

No comments: