Friday, March 30, 2012

Lasagna Bake

I've been trying some gluten free products lately. Some good, some ok and some I should stay away from if I'm going to continue my emphasis on whole foods and avoid overly processed foods.

Recently I tried some wide noodles made from potato. This was my first try at cooking these and I decided to try them using a recipe on the back. I've also been using some tofu again now and then. Seeing as how I needed to make it vegan (it called for cheese and eggs), I made some changes.

I'm pleased with how it turned out. It's made like the no-boil recipes for lasagna. You might be able to substitute other gluten-free noodles for this recipe, although you'll have to experiment and find what works for you. Please read the recipe thoroughly before gathering all your ingredients.

"Tastes Like Lasagna" Bake

1 recipe "stedda ricotta"
1 Tablespoon ground flax seed mixed with 3 Tablespoons water
1-10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
3 cups tomato sauce (like spaghetti sauce)
1-9 oz. package gluten-free wide potato noodles
1/2 cup water

In a bowl mix together the "stedda ricotta", ground flax seed (already mixed with water), spinach, oregano, salt and pepper. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

At this point have all of your ingredients ready. You should have the spinach/"ricotta" mix (divided in half), nutritional yeast, tomato sauce (divided in half), dry noodles (also divided in half), and 1/2 cup water ready. I used a 9"x 13" pan, you can use a smaller pan for a taller finished product if you like. Oil your pan now (I used coconut oil and a little olive oil together).

Layer in this fashion, spreading evenly after each addition:
1/2 spinach/"ricotta" mix
1/2 dry noodles
1/2 tomato sauce
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 spinach/"ricotta" mix
1/2 dry noodles
1/2 tomato sauce
Pour the 1/2 cup water around the edges.

The recipe says to cover tightly with foil. Since I don't use foil, I covered it with a cookie sheet instead. Bake for one hour or until bubbly. Let stand for a few minutes before cutting.

Enjoy. Pass the crushed red pepper, please! =)

No comments: