Saturday, December 17, 2011

Raw "Peanut" Sauce

I've been loving the recipes in Ani Phyo's book, "Ani's Raw Food Essentials". I think this book is a must for those of us who want to incorporate more raw foods into our diet. I'm not 100% raw, but you can't go wrong with more raw food in your diet. 

Here's a great savory recipe to try. And even if you put it on a base of something cooked, it's still got to be better than other dairy laden sauces out there. Definitely more interesting than tomato based sauces too. Add a little spice with this almond version of peanut sauce. I tweaked this recipe a little to include more almonds and less coconut oil than her original recipe. My version follows. 

Please feel free to change the amount of hot pepper to your liking. Remember the fat content of this recipe will definitely tone down most of the spiciness. So don't be afraid to put some in, taste and add more to get some zing. You might be surprised to find how much you can put in. I actually used a bit of dried cayenne pepper, since I didn't have any fresh jalapenos on hand. 

Raw "Peanut" Sauce

1/2 cup raw almond butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 Tablespoons (or less) Nama Shoyu (soy sauce)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon seeded, chopped jalapeno (or to taste)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 water

Blend everything together in a blender until smooth.

Use this sauce for anything you would use peanut sauce with. Be creative. This is a nice, but rich sauce, so think of low calorie veggies for topping with this sauce. Suggestions: shredded cabbage, kelp noodles, sliced cucumbers, zucchini shreds. Thinned down with a bit of water, you can even use it as a salad dressing.

When I made this, I actually doubled it, since I wanted leftovers for a couple of meals. My family loved it.

No comments: