Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Curry Powder

I made this curry powder recipe after using up my current supply of store-bought curry powder. The only ingredient I had to buy was fenugreek seeds. I easily found it at my natural foods store with their bulk spices. I got just enough for two recipes worth since I won't be using it for anything else currently.

Stores that have a get-your-own bulk herbs and spices are great for being able to do this without spending a lot of money to try it. I like being able to have a variety this way and it's more authentic too.

Curry Powder



1 stick of cinnamon, 3 inches long, or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
10 cardamom pods or 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
8 whole cloves or 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
3 teaspoons cumin seeds or ground cumin
2 teaspoons peppercorns or 1 teaspoon pepper (I used less)
2 teaspoons coriander seeds or 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
3 teaspoons fenugreek seeds or 2 teaspoons ground fenugreek

If using whole spices, combine all ingredients, except cardamom pods and coriander seeds. Grind and sift cardamom pods and coriander seeds separately, then add to other spices and grind in a blender or electric grinder. If using ground spices, mix all together. Store in airtight jar. Makes about 1/4 cup.

Hot Curry Powder: Add 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper to mix.

I had both whole and ground spices, so I measured them as called for and then put everything in the grinder for one last go round.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

This is amazing,A Great blog actually my first blog.Thank You!

Loretta said...

You are so very welcome. Glad to have you visit. Let me know if you would like me to write about something or if you are looking for a specific recipe. I take ideas too! =)

Shalom