Thursday, June 5, 2008

Keep It Simple For Baby

Simple tip...keep it simple. This can apply to many things: hair style, clothing, gadgets, children's toys, directions, schedules, food choices, etc...

After my last post, I thought about something I am glad about...and I thought that I could give you a specific example of something I've done to make my life easier and help my daughter all at the same time.
This...

is a large piece of tie dyed Ghanaian fabric about 51" wide by 68" long (about 130 cm x 174 cm). Its green, yellow, brown, and purple colors just look fun together. See the photo below for the pattern.

It is my "cover." So called because it is my cover for nursing (in public). But it is so much more than that. Actually I should call it my baby sling...or stroller... or blanket...or sun shade...or backpack...or baby swing...or baby nose wiper...or...
Most of the time, it is in use as a baby carrier/sling. Babies everywhere in Ghana (and I suppose in other African countries as well), are seen on their mama's backs sleeping or watching the world go by. Babies are content there too. It's funny, besides being in mama's arms (probably getting nursed), I think this is a baby's next favorite place to be.
It's actually very easy to do. Baby goes on back, piggyback style. Then the fabric is put centered over baby, with the top edge underneath their armpits. In the front, the top edge gets rolled out and tucked (much like a towel wrapped around you, except the roll is outward, not in). Then you put the extra fabric tucked under the baby's "bum" (as we say at our house), like putting them in a "seat." Then the bottom extra fabric is brought to the front and the two corners are gathered separately and twisted together then tucked under. So...wrap, roll, tuck, gather, twist and one more tuck and you are ready to go! =)
I use it everywhere and because we walk a lot (no car)...well, it has really been useful and I love it. You would think that it would not be comfortable, but the first time I put in on I knew I was going to love it.
At the beach...



...at the Bible school's banquet (here with students)...


..at the main mission house (not ours)...

Here is the earliest photo I have of me when I first put my daughter on my back without my friend helping (Ghanaian friend who showed me how to do this)...

I even took a photo of myself one day, when my daughter requested that I put her on my back. She needed to sleep, I guess...

She does look comfy there, doesn't she?

(Sweet dreams, little Missy. I love you.)

3 comments:

Sarah Halter said...

In Kenya, we often pull one end over a shoulder and then tie the ends together in the front, especially with bigger babies. I carried a 3 year old to the clinic that way once (he was HEAVY!)

When I asked the family I was living with to show me how to tie on a baby properly, my host dad took me aside and told me that I didn't need to learn how to do that because now there are "modern" carriers that you can carry a baby in instead! I told him I'd like to learn anyway, and they taught me.

Jodi said...

This is so cool! Your baby looks so comfy! I have a "modern" carrier--an Ergo that I paid a pretty penny for. I do love it,but I wish I could "tie" her on, though! Maybe I'll give it a try with my next one!

Monica said...

Great post! It's wonderful to be able to read ideas from others around the world! I posted about wearing my baby this week too! I enjoyed reading through your blog this afternoon:0)