Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Blender Multi-Tasking

I made smoothies for our family this morning. I thought afterward that instead of cleaning up the blender right away - why not make something else in it before I wash it up? I decided to blend together my wet ingredients for my double batch of granola (my granola mixes up better this way). Both things were comparably sweet so I didn't even rinse it out between.

I have done savory (salty/not sweet) recipes the same way. When I've made something in my blender, immediately I start to think of what I could make ahead to put into the fridge or freezer for later. I've blended up vegetables for a soup and then next made an easy vegan gravy for mashed potatoes. Again the first (vegetables) was compatible with the next thing and so I didn't rinse it out between. I put the gravy into the saucepan that I would cook it in later that day (or for the next day) straight into the fridge. At mealtime, all I had to do was pull it out and heat it up.

I like it when I remember to think ahead. These days I have to remind myself that there are others who would like to eat at my house!

2 comments:

Mom2fur said...

I do this a lot, too. We had fish tacos and shrimp scamp (Mexican style) last night, and I cooked the shrimp in the same skillet where I'd cooked the mahi-mahi. After all, why wash a pot twice if you can avoid doing so, right?

Bloggin' Mama said...

Great tip. I actually did this this morning.... I was making a couple of things that needed to be mixed and though hmmmm, I think the blender would be quicker!! I did rinse in between because I changed from sweet to savory.