Friday, November 28, 2008

Something I'll Miss

My daughter is now 2 1/2. I stopped breastfeeding her about a month ago now. The main reason I breastfed her this long is to have something to comfort her during our transatlantic flights back in August.

Those flights were actually uneventful as she never even had so much as a tummy ache or any ear trouble at all. It was still handy nonetheless to have a "snack" on hand. So when we had settled back in the states, I suddenly realized that I did not need to nurse her anymore.

After I tapered her nursings down to three a day, it wasn't long before it was two, then finally once per day. It was actually pretty easy to totally wean her. No trouble when we finally stopped altogether. She had the most tears when we went from three to two times per day, missing the midday one right before her nap. All in all, things went well.

But...I will miss it. I nursed my son (now 10) until he was almost 18 months old. With my daughter, I nursed her until she was about 30 months old. I definitely prefer nursing longer. With my new found nursing tool and experience this time around, I can't wait to have another to care for in the future in the same way.

No comments: