Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Fire Cider - Part 1

Today I was excited to receive a gift of horseradish! I know it might not be everyone's idea of a fun time, but I got chopping this evening to make something I have wanted to make for a long time - Fire Cider!

Looking up recipes, I found something very interesting about it's history. If you are curious about it all, you can go to freefirecider.com and read it for yourself. The recipe can be found here.

So you know, this recipe is not my own. Recipes for Fire Cider, and it's various names, abound on the internet. I have made something very close to Rosemary Gladstar's recipe, found above. You can even watch her talking about Fire Cider and making it here in this video.

I put my prepared ingredients (varies from the recipe above) into a gallon size jar. It will need about 4-6 weeks of wait time. I used the following organic ingredients:

Fire Cider

1 cup chopped fresh organic ginger root, do not peel
1 1/2 cup peeled, chopped fresh local organic horseradish root
2 medium organic onions, chopped
1 small organic fresh turmeric root, chopped (about 2 Tablespoons), do not peel
approximately 10 cloves of fresh organic garlic, chopped
2 organic chili peppers, chopped (your preference, cayenne is common)
1 organic whole lemon, chopped, with peel on
2 quarts organic raw apple cider vinegar

And this is what my batch looked like before I added the apple cider vinegar... 


...Then I added the vinegar to cover. I will be shaking it a bit every day or two. Part 2 will include what I will do when the Fire Cider is done, around the 4-6 week mark. It will involve straining the mixture and adding honey for a sweeter and more palatable taste. 

I can't wait because it's both a great food and remedy. I know my sinuses feel better when I use this! Goodbye, colds!  =) And the taste is delicious!

Read about Part 2 here

No comments: