Monday, October 29, 2012

Some Thoughts: Blessings and Whole Foods Provision

When my family's diet comes into conversation with a stranger, I start thinking about my blessings. One such encounter happened recently while I was with my children and we were doing some shopping for my parents.

On this day we were in a discount grocery store and I was doing the usual checking labels and prices. I was talking with the children as usual and we were about ready to check out when someone commented to us that they were glad to see we were considering the prices and ingredients in our food before we bought our groceries.

They initiated a conversation about healthy foods. This person mentioned gmo foods and other raw food topics, along with some documentaries that I might find interesting. I told them about our vegan diet and this blog. They seemed happy to hear it. I was glad to have connected with a like-minded person.

I write because it's one way to share my recipes as well as to remind me of where I've come. I may forget the blessings otherwise. I write to show the many possibilities that a vegan diet can and does hold for those seeking to find healthy ways to prepare food. I hope that I've helped others find the "road" to a healthier life.

I realize the term "vegan" conjures up different ideas for many people. Really, we eat a whole foods, plant based diet. Since we are what we eat, I prefer to eat in a way that I know will produce health for me and my family. I am also blessed to have a husband and children that have been so easy to please.

I really like to use the whole food approach because there are so many things that work together in foods, still being discovered, that help to heal. You can go and find vitamin this and vitamin that, a specific amino acid here, and isolated mineral this and that there. In whole foods, you get all the synergistic nutrients working together to balance each other the way God intended they should do. He is the Creator after all. He knew what our bodies would need. He is Jehovah Jireh, "the Lord Who provides" and we can trust that is what He will do for us.

I am also reminded of the passage in I Peter 3, from verses 15 and 16: "...in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,  keeping a clear conscience..." I know this is speaking of our life in Christ, but I can't help seeing it with new eyes when I consider my conversation with this stranger in the store. People are always ready to listen to someone who is gentle and respectful. This person was just that. I hope that my words were a testimony to this person as well.

No comments: