Thursday, October 18, 2012

My Pantry List

This is in response to a long overdue post I had promised my cousin (I didn't forget!). In thinking about what I stock in my pantry, I realize that it changes with the seasons and various discounts I find. I include what I usually have on hand in fresh produce as well. We try to eat a lot of raw foods, so you'll see that reflected here.

Greens are listed separately because they are so important. I rotate the greens for breakfast smoothies, but I always try to keep salad lettuces on hand for other meals. I don't usually have all these greens at the same time. Right now we are still using kale (Lacinto and Red Curly) and Swiss Chard from our garden.

Following is a general list that you should feel free to adapt to your situation. These are what I thought of today (I will try to update as I think of others). I rarely have all these things at the same time. I buy as I can and try to watch what is in season and on sale. Please see additional notes at the bottom of the post.

Seeds and Nuts
  • Almonds (for homemade almond butter)
  • Sunflower Seeds
  • Pumpkin Seeds
  • Sesame Seeds & Tahini (sesame seed butter)
  • Walnuts
  • Pecans
  • Hemp
  • Chia
  • Flax (dark and light)
  • Cashews
  • Coconut, shredded (unsweetened)
  • Seeds for Sprouting (alfalfa, mung bean, etc.)
Grains
Legumes, Dried (organic preferred when sprouting legumes)
  • Split Peas
  • Lentils
  • Black Beans
  • Pinto Beans
  • Garbanzo Beans (Chick Peas)
Vegetables
  • Carrots
  • Onions (and Green Onions)
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Cabbage
  • Celery
  • Garlic
  • Tomatoes (fresh and sun-dried organic)
  • Bell Peppers 
  • Hot Peppers (fresh and dried)
  • Ginger Root
  • Winter Squash (Butternut, Acorn, Pumpkin)
  • Peas (frozen)
  • Sweet Corn (frozen)
  • Broccoli
  • Beets
  • Cucumbers
  • Zucchini
Greens
  • Romaine
  • Leafy Lettuces
  • Spinach (fresh and frozen)
  • Mixed greens
  • Kale
  • Collard Greens
  • Swiss Chard
  • Dried Teas: Peppermint, Spearmint, Chamomile
  • Fresh Herbs: Parsley, Cilantro, Basil, etc.
Fruits
  • Lemons
  • Apples
  • Bananas
  • Berries (frozen)
  • Raisins, organic
  • Dates (Pitted and also Medjool)
  • Avocados
Sea Vegetables (Seaweed)
Sweeteners
  • Honey (local)
  • Maple Syrup (local)
  • Green Stevia, powdered (in my Spices list)
Oils and other condiments:
  • Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Nama Shoyu (raw soy sauce) or Coconut Aminos
  • Olive Oil, extra virgin, organic
  • Coconut Oil, extra virgin, organic
  • Mustard
  • Salt (we like "Real Salt")
  • Vegetarian Formula Nutritional Yeast
  • Miso
  • Carob Powder
  • Homemade Vanilla Extract (recipe coming soon)
  • Dried Herbs and Spices
Occasionally:
I go to discount stores and find other foods that we can enjoy periodically. Sometimes I'm able to find things that I normally use at a much better price, but selection may be very spotty. I find that if I check in now and then at places I'm going by anyway, I can sometimes get a very good deal. My standard is buying ripe bananas (with brown spots - I use them for smoothies) at a deep discount for only 19 cents per pound at a local grocery store I frequent. Sometimes there are even organic bananas marked down for the same price. Keep an eye out for deals and marked down produce. We buy a lot of it and it pays to check.

Note about wheat/gluten and soy: We have been eating wheat free for about one year now. I don't stock any wheat, rye, spelt, wheat based pastas, or yeast (not wheat, but I wouldn't use it anyway) because of this. I include it here to show what you may need if you use wheat/gluten based products. We also eat very little soy, but do include it occasionally (I never use TVP or soy oil). Because of these two reasons, I never buy pre-made meat analogs, as it seems that 99% of these products contain one or both, wheat and soy.

I try to include recipes on this blog that give you alternatives to pre-packaged (read: marketed to vegetarians) "alternatives" out there. Vegetarian offerings in stores have come a long way in the last 20 years. There is still so much to be desired if you consider the sensitivities and allergies that people have these days. Making things yourself tastes better when it's homemade and it's usually cheaper, but not always. At least you know what's in your food this way!

I hope this list gives you an idea of how I do things at our house. Your list may look very different than mine. Make it yours.

No comments: